Wednesday, January 15, 2014
Help us get the word out about Advocacy Day, encourage people to register, and raise awareness about our State Legislative Advocacy Priorities to create affordable homes and end homelessness. On Wednesday, January 15, 2014, from 12:00am to 11:59pm, we'd like #HHAD2014 to be a locally trending hashtag on Twitter and increase the registrations for Advocacy Day. If you're on Twitter or Facebook, here are some ways you can participate:
- Tweet and post about Advocacy Day using the hashtag #HHAD2014 every hour or more! Link to the Advocacy Day page (http://wliha.org/HHAD) and the registration page (http://tinyurl.com/hhadreg). Here are some examples:
- Retweet to Twitter and repost to Facebook other's #HHAD2014 submissions.
- Reply to tweets and comment on Facebook posts about #HHAD2014.
- Change your square avatar on Twitter and Facebook to this #HHAD2014 graphic:
Special thanks to Stephanie over at HDC for this awesome graphic!
- Tweet and Instagram an "unselfie." A selfie is type of self-portrait photograph usually taken with a camera phone and then posted to a social media site, often accompanied with the hashtag #selfie. An unselfie encourages people to take a self-portrait and tie it to a social issue or cause. It's easy. First, write clearly how you'll be participating in Advocacy Day, maybe you're volunteering or will meet with your legislator. Feel free to list more than one. Then, hold the piece of paper in front of you, showing your personal pledge, and take a picture. Add the hashtags #HHAD2014 and #unselfie to the post. Here's an example of an Advocacy Day unselfie from our communications guy Joaquin Uy.
- Post other images or pictures related to Advocacy Day. Feel free to be as creative as possible:
- Ask your friends and followers to "like" and "follow" Washington Low Income Housing Alliance at @WLIHA and /WLIHA, as well as the other social media sponsors:
Capitol Hill Housing | Catholic Charities of Yakima | Firesteel | Housing Development Consortium | Seattle University Project on Family Homelessness | Youthcare
- Disseminate statistics about affordable housing and homeless in your community on your tweets and posts with the hashtag #HHAD2014. Here are some great sources for statistics:
Housing Alliance State Legislative Advocacy Page
National Low Income Housing Coalition 2013 Out of Reach Report
National Low Income Housing Coalition Housing Spotlight
Department of Commerce Annual Point in Time Count
SchoolHouse Washington: Information & Support for Homeless Students)
For more information about the Social Media Day of Action, contact Joaquin at joaquin-at-wliha(dot)org.
About Housing and Homelessness Advocacy Day
An Advocacy Day (a.k.a. “Lobby Day”) is an organized event, usually at the legislature, where constituents can meet their elected officials to inform on and advocate for specific legislation and policies. Each year, the Washington Low Income Housing Alliance organizes one of the largest Advocacy Days during the legislative session. Over 650 advocates from every county in the state gather to urge their legislators to support policy ensuring that everyone in Washington has the opportunity to live in a safe, healthy, and affordable home. Housing and Homelessness Advocacy Day is Tuesday, January 28. More information, including registration and pre-Advocacy Day workshops here.